If you’re not sure how to fix paint chips on car, then you’ve arrived at the right place! Normal or harsh driving conditions can lead to chips and scratches in your car’s paint. The most commonly damaged areas are your car’s front bumper and hood. Chipped paint on your car can lead to rust which can ruin your entire car’s body. So, in today’s post, I will tell you how to fix paint chips on car at home. Paint chips on cars are classified into three categories: small, medium, and large. Let us now check out how to fix paint chips on car in detail.
How To Fix Paint Chips On Car?
Follow these steps to know how to fix paint chips on car.
- First, you’ve to determine the severity of the chip.
- If the size of the chips tends to be smaller than a dime, you can repair it using a touch-up paint pen.
- Find and purchase a touch-up paint pen that matches your car color exactly.
- Before you start with the actual procedure, clean the affected area properly.
- Rinse the area with water and then wash it with warm soapy water.
- Then, rinse it again to thoroughly clean it.
- Make sure the affected area/car is completely dry before you move forward.
- Use the touch-up paint pen on the chip.
- Slightly press the pen down to release the paint.
- Slowly, cover all the damaged spots on your car.
- Leave the paint to dry completely.
- Once the paint dries completely, wash your car.
- To finish off, apply a fresh coat of wax to seal and protect the paint.
If you’re unable to find the exact paint pen, check the sticker inside your car door.
You can keep on reading to know alternative ways to learn how to fix paint chips on car.
Fix Medium Paint Chips On Car
In the above section, you’ve got to know how to fix small paint chips on car. Let’s now learn to fix medium paint chips on cars.
- First, remove any debris stuck on the chips or paint of your car.
- You can either use your fingers or a pair of tweezers to remove all debris.
- Once you’re done, wash the area around the chip with plain water.
- Then, apply warm soapy water using a sponge onto the affected area.
- Rinse the area again with clean water to ensure there is no debris or sediments.
- Leave the car for a while to dry completely.
- Now, pour some rubbing alcohol, Prepsol, or enamel reducer on a clean rag.
- This will help you to remove any grease or oil saturated in the affected area.
- Then, purchase an automotive primer from your nearby local auto parts store.
- Use its applicator brush to apply the primer to the affected area.
- Make sure you cover the unpainted area with a thin but solid coat of primer.
- Once the primer dries completely move to the next step.
- Purchase a touch-up paint with an applicator brush.
- Shake the paint thoroughly, then remove the applicator brush to apply the paint.
- Leave the paint to dry and re-apply again if necessary.
- Wash the entire vehicle to ensure the entire car surface is clean.
- Now, apply wax to the affected area to seal and protect your paint from fading.
Make sure you do not rub rubbing alcohol or enamel on the painted area. You’ll end up removing the clear coat from non-affected areas.
Fix Large Paint Chips On Car
Fixing large paint chips on a car is a tough task! Follow these to learn how to fix large paint chips on car.
- Before beginning, have a close look at the damaged area.
- Using a pair of tweezers or your fingers, remove all debris.
- You can even remove the paint that flakes as it’s no longer bonded to the metal.
- Make sure you don’t scratch the good paint while removing flakes or debris.
- Now, remove any surface rust by applying some CLR to a Q-tip.
- Gently, apply CLR onto the affected area.
- Wipe the entire area with rubbing alcohol to move the chemical and any grease or oil.
- Use sandpaper to round off the edges of the paint around the chip.
- This will help the new paint blend with the old more effectively.
- Once the chip is sanded, clean and wipe the area with a cloth.
- Apply a thin layer of primer to the affected area using the applicator brush.
- Allow the primer to dry completely.
- Pour water over the chip and then use the sandpaper to lightly sand the primer.
- Keep doing it until it is completely flat.
- Once the area is dried, apply touch-up paint to the primer.
- Repeat the process till you cover the entire primed areas.
- Leave the paint to dry and re-apply the paint if required.
- Again pour water over the chip and then use fine sandpaper to remove any texture.
- To finish off, apply a thin layer of clear coat to give a healthy shine.
- After the repaired area is completely dry, wash the entire vehicle.
- Now, apply wax to the affected area to seal and protect your paint from fading.
You can even pay a visit to a professional paint chip repair shop if your car paint is heavily chipped! But, do you know how much to fix paint chips on a car? You have to pay around $150 to $250 dollars to fix your vehicle. The price range can vary depending upon the damage.
What Causes Paint Chips On Cars?
By far, you’ve understood how to fix paint chips on cars in detail. Paint chips on cars can be due to the following factors.
Vehicles in extreme weather conditions often suffer from paint chips. Car paints tend to contract at low temperatures and expand at high temperatures. This can decrease the paint grip on the surface of the car.
Car paints lose their initial quality due to bird droppings, dirt, dust, and moisture. Longer exposure to direct sunlight makes the paint chip and become flaky.
Accident And Mishaps
Accidents and mishaps are the most common factors that lead to paint chipping. This can affect the top layer of the paint and can do some serious damage to the underlying paint layers.
Applying low-grade paints on vehicles can impact the surface of the vehicle. These paints are less resistant and often lead to paint chipping.
Most people use harsh chemicals to clean their cars. Strong chemicals have high abrasive power which can cause paint degradation.
Know more information like this on Fixznow
How Much Does It Cost To Fix A Chip On A Car?
between $150 and $250
For minor paint chip, scratch, and scrape repair, you’ll pay between $150 and $250 for all of the damage they can fix on your vehicle. Touch-up is great for small, shallow chips and scratches. Dent repairs will cost about $75 per panel.
Can Paint Chips Be Repaired?
In fact, even if the chip is about one-fourth the size of a dime, you can still repair it. Clean the chip with soap and water and then dry it with a soft cotton cloth. Rub a dab of automotive polishing compound over the chip to gently soften any ragged edges. Just a dozen swirls or so will do the job.
Why Does Car Paint Chip So Easily?
Every day of its life your car is exposed to harsh UV rays from the sun, bird droppings, dirt, dust, and moisture in various forms. This continuous assault of the elements causes the paint to lose its quality and chip away easily. Accidents are the most obvious way to damage a car’s paint.
Will Chipped Car Paint Rust?
Yes, it will rust eventually. However, most people don’t own their cars for more than 6 years, and little rock chips here and there won’t amount to much in that time. Water, dirt, and salts will eventually get under the paint and start to spread.
Can A Body Shop Fix Paint Chips?
A body shop can also do a fine job of filling in the chip with touch-up paint for – at a cost. Another angle is to do-it-yourself, and if you choose that option read on. There are many paint chip repair kits on the market that include chemicals, paints and tools. These can get pricey.
Should I Worry About Paint Chips On Car?
If You Don’t, Your Car Could Rust
In a lot of cases, chips in the paint and sealer caused by even the smallest pebble can lead to a major rust problem in the future. If allowed to go unchecked, this rust can quickly spread and will become a far more expensive issue that will require immediate attention.
In the above post, I’ve explained how to fix paint chips on car bumper and other parts. Your car can get paint chips due to weather conditions, accidents, or usage of strong cleansers while cleaning. You can easily fix small and medium paint chips on your car by yourself. Make sure you clean affected areas and remove any grease or oil to give the paint a good surface. Apply the primer and then car paint in thin layers. You can even purchase a paint chip repair kit from auto shops. Thus, you can now easily repair your car by learning how to fix paint chips on car.
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit FactorsWeb
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit FeatureBuddies
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit FeedAtlas
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit FilmyViral
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit FinanceNInsurance